Thursday, July 9, 2009

My Parents and The Men I Date

So right when I think things are going to be okay with John I have to go and talk to my parents. I can't help it they are like my best friends. I tell my mom everything.

I told my mom at lunch the other day all about John and our talk. She seemed to be okay with it. I didn't want to tell my dad, however, because I knew he would just get upset. He thinks all men are scum and that no one is good enough for his little girl.

Yesterday I asked my mom what she thought dad might think of John. Then she started getting upset with me. She thinks that I am settling. Settling for what? It's not like I am gonna marry the guy. Then there is the well if you aren't gonna marry him then why waste your time. Well, I don't know if I will ever get married. I don't know exactly how I feel about marriage. Plus if I ever do get married it won't be for a long time. So why not have fun now? What, I can't date unless I'm thinking about marriage?

Then she tells me that I don't really like John and that I have just convinced myself that I have so that I can date him and not be the only single girl that I know. yes it does suck, sometimes, being the only single girl I know, but I do like being single. part of my being confused about dating John is whether I want to give up my single life at this moment. And I don't think that I have convinced myself to like John. I have always had feelings for John, for like two years now. Maybe that means I should give it try or maybe that means, it's been two years and I should move on.

That night I went to dinner with my parents. I mentioned something about John and I hanging out the other night and my dad like flipped out. He wanted to begin naming off all the reasons I shouldn't even be friends with John. He may not have a job right now, but he got fired and it's hard to find jobs right now. He is filling out applications though. And John knows how I feel about him being unemployed.

It is just so frustrating. They have never liked a single guy I have ever dated. I mean I could bring Prince William home and they still wouldn't approve. Part of the problem I think is social class. They want someone in my same class with the same education I have. My father is a prominent lawyer and has his own firm. Many of his clients are local celebrities and doctors. So I guess you could say we are more well off than most. Now John's family is not as well off as mine. In fact most people I know aren't as well off. I am not bragging just explaining. I am not that girl, believe me. I have my BA and am beginning to work on my JD this fall. John has his Associates. That's better than no degree at all. Dad wants me to go to law school and find a nice husband there. But I just don't know about that.

Always- LSG

1 comment:

  1. this sounds so much like my family. my mother is a marriage & family counselor and sometimes i can't even try to talk to her about my men situations because all she does is analyze them. i also feel as if no one will ever been good enough for my parents...they always say i need to "raise the bar"..well the more i raise it the more single i become and then im considered "too picky"...sheesh!

    ReplyDelete